We offer AP mode as an alternative wireless setup way to “AirLink”. If you have troubles with other setup way like AirLink, you can try Initial Setup by AP Mode.
In AP mode, the HiKam camera generates a WiFi signal named ‘Hikam-….XX’ or 'Hi-....XX'(XX is the last two digits of the HiKam Camera ID. The camera ID can be found on the back of the HiKam camera.)
Once the smartphone is connected to the camera’s WiFi , you can use the HiKam app to configure the HiKam camera and then modify the network settings, so the camera will be able to connect to your router.
Before starting setup
Step 1: Make sure latest HiKam app in Google Play or App Store is downloaded and installed on your phone. Only the latest app support the setup wizard used in the following.
Move forward to Step 2 if the HiKam app is already in your mobile device.
- Go to App Store (iPhone/iPad) or Google Play (Android) and search “HiKam camera”. Get HiKam app.
- Create your account in the app by tapping >New Account Registration<.
Step 1: Set HiKam camera to AP mode
- Power on the A7 camera by connecting the power adapter. Wait for 30 seconds for the camera to boot up.
- Pressing reset button by the PIN in the box, til you hear the second DING sound from the camera, then release the reset button. Normally you will hear two DING sound within 10 seconds.
Reset button on S6:
- After you release the reset button, the camera will auto reboot, wait for about 30seconds.
Now go to check the status LED on the S6, it should flash as blue-red, as following,
If the status LED is not flashing as blue-red, you need to repeat Step 1 again.
Step 2: Connect your phone to WiFi generated by the camera
Please go to your smartphone setup menu and find the WiFi named as ‘Hikam-….XX’ or 'Hi-....XX', and connect your phone to this WiFi.
Just like when you go to Starbucks or McDonald, you are trying to find and connect to the WiFi provided by the shop.
(Example for iPhone/iPad and Android as below)
On iPhone / iPad:
If you are using iPhone or iPad, the iPhone/iPad needs about 1 minute to connect to this WiFi, as iPhone/iPad will do extra security check before connecting a new WiFi. You can just wait the iPhone/iPad shows it has connected to the WiFi.
Step 3: Add the HiKam camera into the HiKam app
- Open the HiKam app, click the + button in top right corner
- Click Backup Options --> AP Mode
- Then here is the setup wizard of AP Mode.
Click NEXT on this introduction page as below
Click NEXT on this page as below, as your camera is already in AP Mode in Step 1
Click NEXT on this page as below,
The app will check if your phone has connected to the WiFi generated by the camera.
If yes, the app will auto discover the camera. Once found, it will show as Found and auto swtich to next page.
Name the camera , and set your own password to the camera, and click Complete button.
Please make sure remember the camera password.
Step 4: Set camera to connect to your home WiFi
The app will list the around WiFi in the page.
Tap on the WiFi name of your home WiFi in the list --> Click OK button to continue --> Input WiFi password and click OK
The app will show the camera will reboot, click OK. You will see the 'My Camera' page and the camera has been added in this page.
- Wait for around 1minute for camera to come back from reboot. After 1 minute, check the status LED of the camera is SOLID BLUE, like following,
(If the status LED is not SOLID BLUE, such as lit up with RED, check the troubleshooting section in the last)
- Go to HiKam app > 'My Camera' page, you will see the camera status as ONLINE. If not, just wait for 1 minute.
When the camera status is ONLINE, you can now click on the camera and follow the live video stream on your smartphone.
Troubleshooting: Meet Issues? Camera not online?
Have a check on the status LED of the S6, is it flashing red, like following?
If the status LED is flashing red as above, it means the WiFi password provided is wrong.
You can just do from Start Setup > Step 1 to the final step again. Make sure you have the correct WiFi password in hand and input correctly.
For other issues, check this link for detailed instructions: resolving S6 connecting to WiFi issue